Friday, January 11, 2008

Battlestar Iraq


In season two of “Battlestar Galactica” they drew parallels to the war in Iraq. But in the last season, season three, they hit you over the head with it. Humans are Iraqis and Cylons are the US. There are suicide bombers, insurgents and Dr. Giaus Baltar (George Bush). I'm not sure that when blinded by hot sex George Bush betrayed all of humanity for his own gain but I am pretty sure he's a scientific genius, with a British accent and a PhD.

I feel like this show does an amazing job of explaining the Iraqi's perspective. In order to make certain white people understand the Iraqi or Afghani or Palestinian situation you have to get certain white people to identify with white characters. People are so horrified by suicide bombers when a great many teenagers are suicidal in the US and they don't live with constant invasion or occupation or the presumption that they are terrorists. They're just sad. These same people don't understand how a person in the US, who based on their race, is constantly thought to be a criminal: commits crimes. I'm not saying it's smart to just believe what people tell you to believe about yourself but I understand that unless I had to live that way I couldn't say how I would react. Yeah, I've been watching "Do The Right Thing." Did you ever notice that Spike Lee lifted an entire speech from "The Night of the Hunter"?


No comments: